Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 14 October 2011

Human Dignity and Halloween

Don't get me wrong, I love Halloween, mocking the evil one, acknowledging the thinnest of membranes 'twixt this world and the next, being slightly scared in an entertaining way, seeing children, (especially tiny one,) dressed absurdly, even boggling at grotesque masks (and we won't even go into chocolate....)

But this morning's paper had a photo of a veterinarian who goes all out decorating her clinic for Halloween, and the object featured in the photo was a life-sized, rubber "legless man being gnawed by rats," his face contorted in agony.

Really?

She loves animal, one assumes, (an that is laudable,) so I wonder how amused such a professional would be by a life-sized, rubber, legless, oh, I dunno, golden retriever being gnawed by rats, with its face contorted in agony.

I suspect she would be disgusted by such a depiction of suffering, don't you?

Because as I said, she probably loves animals....

2 comments:

drollgirl said...

well i sure wish you had posted a pic of this! yikes! i would love to see it! lol

Scelata said...

Couldnt find the image online -- yes, in this post I am actually admitting to reading a newspaper made of PAPER !
I am a closet Luddite.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)