Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 8 June 2007

Poor thangs

REAL fashion designers having their thunder, and their livelihood stolen by celebs...
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/07/fashion/07DESIGNERS.html?ref=style

As if that hasn't been happening to actors for, oh I dunno... FOREVER?
I give you Madonna on Broadway, King Charles (and any number of Louis...s...s...s?,) Nero, et al.
I give you numerous productions at the late lamented BRDT.
Martin Sheen showed up to star in something, son in tow, and SB with a signed contract was told, "buh bye."And I don't blame Sheen (to whom it probably didn't even occur that someone else was harmed by the request for a favor,) or whichever son it was (neither was known well enough at the time for it to have stuck in my mind, but both became decent actors,) and I only blame the weasel producer a little.

Business is business, and skill and training count for less than connections and publicity value because Money is god.
It's why amateurism is such a beautiful thing.
And that is personally relevant just now, yes.
And no, I'm not speaking of theater.

No, another matter entirely.
I should, yes.
So you're putting a price on integrity and joy?
But I can barely afford health insurance as it is.... (who's the weasel now?)

No comments: