Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 5 June 2007

Trinity and anniversaries...

Not bad.
Come Now Almighty King, ALL verses... Praise to the Lord, I Received the Living God, and the Divine Praises, all sung with such gusto at all four Masses that the cantors were taken aback.
The MoC Gloria would be low on my list of preferences, but that's not what it's about, and it, as well as the Danish Amen Mass acclamations, (newly re-introduced after a longish absence,) are sturdy and well-liked.
The People's Mass Agnus Dei is still not as strong as I would like, (though it stopped being actually tentative quite shortly after its introduction at the Mass of the Lord's Supper this year,) we'll use that for a few more weeks yet.
The choir sang well, Mr Webbe's Cor Jesu (we will use it throughout the month of the Sacred Heart,) is a keeper, and Canticorum Jubilo made a good impression (God bless Mark for helping us out, trumpet was an excellent, festive addition, very fitting for the occasion.)
On compunction, one song that I believe to be totally unfit to appear in a liturgical setting, for its presumptuous touting of human rather than Divine agency, but other than that and the M of C, I was very satisfied with the programming.
The psalm was a lovely, solemn metric response, (from the Basilica Psalter, is that what that used in C th E is called?) that everyone sang very well (I took it down a step, too high, silly, needlessly so, really what is that tendency?) to which I added simpler chant verses.
But best of all, to me, were the Praises.
I was all in a lather, certain someone (hint, hint...) would object, or that they would be insufficiently long for the need, or that the congregation wouldn't sing.
Oh, and Father G cited the Fr Clarence Rivers God Is Love in his sermon, and NO ONE, except the 7 school children to whom I taught it for the opening of Catholic Schools' Week Mass this year, knew it! But I could oblige him by singing it along with him from the loft, and I worked it (as well as Glory Be To Jesus, aka The Precious Blood Fight Song,) into my noodling (liturgical cocktail keyboard...) and I was very proud of that.
Oh, and snatches of Nimrod in honour of Elgar's anniversary.
So all in all, not too ashamed of my efforts, my offering.

No comments: