Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 29 February 2008

Retiring to my fainting couch...

As usual, things fell into place, and there is indeed time for everything that needs to be done and even a moment or two for fluff. (I'll retire to my fainting couch and eat bon-bons)
For it is even in looking over my own agenda that I must remember not to conflate "needy" with "wanty." (Thank you, Tick....)
The programs for Stations look good (thank you, CMAA for that excellent link to suitable graphics http://inillotempore.com/blog/images/gallery/LineArt) although I seem to have left out all directions as to posture other than the genuflection during "We adore you, O Christ...." but perhaps I can consult with Father and have him indicate them.
Choir gave me a scare last night, after the programs were already printed, the Schubert "In Monte Oliveti" which had sounded ready to go sight-reading it, for pete's sake, and was truly beautiful and dramatic (which yes, I am aiming for...) at rehearsal for the last two weeks was a train-wreck. We ended up spending more time on the third phrase of that than on the entire De Profundis, or on both of the Palestrina motets we are working on COMBINED.
Yeeeesh.
But I think it will be all right.
And I think the people will be glad for a chance to sing some of their favorites.
And of course, the choir seems to welcome it (on the whole... some are no more conscientious about various facets of their practice than they are about attending rehearsals.)
Part of the impetus for this project, besides the inspiration of the (much finer) similar devotion at St J.C., and the desire to bring more people to Stations, was the alteration in the liturgical character of Lent during the lifetimes of many of these people, that with the emphasis on preparation for the sacraments of initiation instead of on atonement, (both Christ's sacrifice, and our need for penitence,) there is less opportunity for some of the choir's favorites, (which aren't necessarily mine, but it ain't about my taste.)

No comments: