Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 24 June 2014

"Please, call me....."

... anything but late for dinner?

USCatholic's Katherine Attanasi wants to know, is it all right to call God "Mother"?

I gotta ask, did He ever TELL ya to, Katherine?

Because, ya know, He, that is, God, told us, yeah, actually told us, IN SO MANY WORDS, we could call God a form of "Father," but He's never told me I should call Him "Mother", or "Ma", or "Mums", or "Mommy", or even "Mater".

Why, He's told you something different?

So I'd say, short answer to you question? "no".

Long answer? noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Maybe I'm too much of a stickler, but when I've just been introduced to someone as "Edward" I don't take it upon myself to christen someone to Ted, or Ed, or Eddie baby.

I wouldn't do that, Katherine. (Kitty? Kate? Cathy? Kat? Katrinka? Skippy? Katt-Att? Princess? NO, see?)

No comments: