Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 13 June 2014

The German Sense of Humor

Okay, from reading various reviews and articles about Rosenkavalier and Strauss, (honest, I'll stop soon,) I've come across a few mentions, some facetious and some not, about the Germanic approach to humor, and I was reminded of them by a pretty funny bit on Colbert with his fake German UN ambassador bringing his usual sweetness and optimism to all topics, in this case, the futility of a sporting competition, (on which, gee willickers, I'd have to agree with him .)

He reminded me of a monologist of whom I have not thought for years, and whom I loved, Brother Theodore.

Pre-Youtube, it would have been a passing thought, but  NOW -- well, I can re-watch all his Letterman appearances.
I think he was a genius;  and what a life, what a strange life -- who can say how much of his frenzied pessimism was an act, however funny it was?

But I never noticed before, (they were never
in my line of vision at the same time,)  he bore a certain resemblance to my favourite German.
(And this is NOT mockery, I truly love them both)

No comments: