Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 23 June 2008

The Bench Fee

I played a wedding out of town a few weekends back.
When I arrived the loft was locked, so I toddled, (well, actually crawled, the winds storms we've been having are bizarre to put it mildly -- I spent most of that evening in the basement, waiting for the Tornado Warning to expire -- it touched down not far from here... but I digress,) over to the rectory.
It turned out that the priest would be over shortly to let me in, at which time he also announced that one of the parish organists should have been called.
Huh?
I had been told by the bride when she contacted me that the regular parish organist was unavailable as he worked elsewhere during the seek.
True, said the pastor, but there was another regular parish musician, and she would in fact be there for the entire liturgy to unlock the organ, show me the ropes, set up amplification if I required it fro singing, (pah!) find anything I needed and watch over the organ lest I break it.
When she arrived, I apologized, offered to give her the fee, or step aside so that she would play, or whatever she might wish, but she demurred.
She knew a little of who I was and was extremely gracious, but the whole thing left me uncomfortable to put it mildly.
I shall in the future ask more specifically about the sequence of musical arrangements being made when I am asked to do things elsewhere. This had been VERY last minute, which made me think that she had been assuming, as anyone at my parish would for instance, that I was, in effect, already contracted to play for any weddings on the schedule, and was not something she needed to worry about.
It also makes me think that I need to go over our parish's procedures with a fine-tooth comb. There seems to be something in the wording of the pamphlet of instructions prospective B & Gs are given that makes them think they not only need to contact me to set up a planning session, but that they need to assure themselves of my availability, which is not the case.

No comments: