Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 12 September 2011

The "Inventor of the e-Book," May He Rest in Peace,

I have had so much good from Project Gutenberg, I am very grateful, (as I believe many of us should be,) to Michael Hart, who passed away last week.

I find out now, that there was much for me, at least, to admire about him besides the founding of the Project:
Michael prided himself on being unreasonable, and only in the later years of life did he mellow sufficiently to occasionally refrain from debate. Yet, his passion for life, and all the things in it, never abated.

Frugal to a fault, Michael glided through life with many possessions and friends, but very few expenses. He used home remedies rather than seeing doctors. He fixed his own house and car. He built many computers, stereos, and other gear, often from discarded components.
A great man, who performed a great service to us all.

No comments: