Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 28 September 2007

Challenging

Defining "challenge."
http://www.episcopalchurch.org/79901_90460_ENG_HTM.htm
The Episcopal communion, having seen a spade, decides to call a "spade" a "rustic implement that while it may at some time have been used in agricultural pursuits now looks chic having been cleaned of it's genuine dirt only to be faux distressed with patina-in-a-bottle and then hung as an objet d'art on the wall of my weekend getaway in the country where I play at being a peasant, like Marie Antoinette in shepherdess mode."
(Gwendolyn: I am happy to say I have never seen a spade...)

Tell me, Bishop, who cannot marry for now?
That's right, those whose "manner of life presents a challenge to the wider church."

Sinful activity presents a challenge to the wider church.
The problem is not the sinner's, it it that of those who might naively be tempted to call a sin a sin.
The wording is reminiscent of the ritual public apologies we hear and read so often -- I'm sorry if anyone was offended.
Yes, what I regret, what was wrong, was the reaction of others, that taking of offense, not my words, by actions, my crime, my stupidity, my immorality, my unkindness, my whatever.... I'm sorry YOU took it that way.

Because apparently, what I did challenged you.

No comments: