Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 19 September 2007

Christ, the strategist

Sometime listening to the Gospel for the fourth or fifth time in a weekend, my mind goes off on tangents.
For instance, a few weeks back, I though about how the war was being prosecuted, has been prosecuted.
Yeah, He has an advantage, being all-good, and omniscient, and all that, but isn't this the kind of voice we ought to have on the cabinet: what king marching into battle would not first sit down and decide whether with ten thousand troops he can successfully oppose another king advancing upon him with twenty thousand troops? But if not, while he is still far away, he will send a delegation to ask for peace terms?

Instead of this: As you know, you have to go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you want.

There are number of members of the administration who are fairly vocal in their faith, at least publicly, right? we can assume scripture literate? they couldn't have given him a clue?
But that's not really my point.
How thoughtful am I being before giving battle?
You can't "give skirmish," I suppose, but that would be a more accurate expression of the level of my involvement. Although my attendance at the liturgies, and support of the mission of the Canons Regular might be thought of as a kind of USO tour, huh?
Meanwhile, should I feel like Lady Haw-haw when I end up playing a piece of Sacro-sacchro-pop?
Is that capitulation?
I don't hold with those who object to terms associated with warfare being applied to our struggles in liturgy.
Such usage is only objectionable, IMO, if we think that other people are the enemy.
Alas, Söze nailed it, the reason so many look on their co-religionst as the enemy is because the real one convinced them all he didn't exist.
Hence, they end up fighting each other (Hmm.... have I strayed into ClassicStarTrek territory? didn't I just describe a plot involving Klingons and the Enterprise crew and an Evil Entity? Living with Himself for 10 years, it's finally rubbed off on me, where everything becomes a ST reference?!?$?%?!?? Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!)
(Or maybe it's just that there's too much blood in my caffeine system.)

No comments: