Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 7 February 2007

My bad, my bad, my most grievous bad

Well, what am I to do?
Unlike most people, and certainly unlike Himself, I don't mind confrontation per se, and I have no predeliction for the supposed female game of "If I have to TELL there's no point." I am perfectly glad to explain what the "Something" is when he asks if if something is wrong. I am more than glad, I am eager.
But I don't like him having to leave for the day at the point of the explanation, as I know he will brood for hours.

And I don't know what I should do instead.

Should I say nothing?
I don't want to play the martyr; I'm too good at it, I mean that literally, it's an act -- and it's not fair.

But I can't just put it completely out of my head. That is admittedly a failure on my part, but I can't just do it.

Buthe's so sensitive. Everything hurts him, everything is taken as personal criticism.
Hell, asking him to smack the bottom of the parmesan shaker rather than pump his arm up and down, so that the cheese doesn't end up all over the kitchen floor! It's as if I've impugned his manhood or insulted his intelligence.

Hmmmm.... maybe this is all about MY being too sensitive.

Yes, I thought I was playing the song because he needed to learn it, make a decision on it, hear it, whatever .... and I thought more or less at his request. But if he wanted to turn away and start working on something else...

Well, why shouldn't he?

It's an ongoing irk ("zat a noun?)

He wants to share his enthusiasms with me, and he does and I pay attention.
Or he has something on TV that he is well aware does not interest me, and I can sit in respectful silence, doing something else.

Is it too much to ask that he not roll his eyes when I point something out to him, or read out a passage in a book that has seized my imagination?
Or not make sarcastic remarks about my (admittedly low-rent) interests like fashion?
He would be waaaaaaaay hurt if I reciprocated.

Well, life goes on.

Oddly, I intend to pop in on the parish "learn about anullment" night, just to offer moral support, because I cannot say enough good about the diocesam process.

Because we DO love each other.

Right?

No comments: