Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 6 April 2008

The detector's on the fritz...

A number of years ago a (gay) friend and I were hanging out in a dressing room when a cast mate leaned in from the green room and asked us to come out and meet his wife.
When the two of us picked our chins up off the floor, he said what I was thinking --" oh, dear Lord, my gay-dar's broken!"
I'm too much of a skin-flint to be a gambler, but I too would have bet anything that that man was gay.
Well, as I've gotten older, I've realized that a lot of my detectors, (sarcasm, lies, hoaxes, irony...) just aren't as fool-proof as I arrogantly thought in my remote youth.

But I did think I knew an Onion spoof when I heard it.
But I would have sworn the picture I saw in passing on television the other day was photo shopped.
I mean, it's near April 1, and all.
Apparently not.
It's subject, the pregnant "man", is the subject of this post of Rod Dreher's: http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2008/04/thomas-beatie-and-the-things-t.html
Is it possible he, and his readers, and Oprah and everyone are being punked?
Did I not read far enough?
Does April Fools now last the entire month?

I gotta start reading a tabloid...

1 comment:

lvschant said...

If it is the same person I read about... the person had a/some sex change operation(s) so the she/he could legally marry his/her girlfriend in Hawaii (where same-sex marriage is not legal). Then, this person's wife nee girlfriend, inseminated this person with sperm from a bank... it is a weird world, no?