Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 7 April 2008

In the employ of Holy Mother Church?

In an all over the blogosphere conversation about a composer, whose name need not be mentioned, a blogger,whose name need not be mentioned, is quoted by another blogger, whose name need not be mentioned, to the effect:
The Catholic Church as an institution does not hire musicians, and it doesn’t utilize the music they compose. Pastors, staff members, and parishioners make these choices.
I'm sure that is true, but I think the Roman Catholic Church in America, as an institution, in the person of the USCCB does, or at least has in some instances.
I was not in the biz at that point, but in the jubilee year a parish where I lived did a particular song, (a kind of bland Te Deum-ish affair,) to death, (it was by the songwriter, er... not mentioned above, AAMOF,) nearly every week for months at a time, and when I asked one of the musicians, "what gives?" was told that he had wondered the same thing, thought his diocese had mandated it, and then found out the the bishops conference had commissioned several pieces for the year and decreed that they would be used.
I didn't give much thought to it, but now I'm wondering what that was all about.

No comments: