Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 13 February 2009

Okay, I am officially a... is there a feminine of "fanboy"? ... of Cameron Carpenter

I attended a concert by Cameron Carpenter this evening.

OMGosh....
Wow and wow again. The only thing I would have changed is -- REMOVE THE BLESSED SACRAMENT FROM THE TABERNACLE WHEN YOU ARE HAVING A CONCERT IN A CHURCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How hard is that?

But his skill is so great, his showmanship so NOT overbearing, his oral program notes so engaging, His charm so palpable, his musicality so great, his programming so interesting, and his... well, just see him and hear him if you have the chance.

I, being the epitome of Lucy Leftfoot don't follow doings in the world of non-liturgical, wait, make that "non-how-can-I-disguise-the-utter-innate-cheeziness-of-this-piece-of-religious" music, so I had no notion of what to expect.

But from the opening Revolutionary Etude through the improv on "My Grandfather's Clock," he had me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm a Cameron fanboy

i love him, he's a true musical genius

he's breathed new life into an old dying art form

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by, Anonymous.
Are you an organist as well?

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)