Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 2 March 2008

As much as it pains me to say it, sometimes I'm just wrong

I read something like this:http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/06/arts/06arts-ALCOHOLANDDR_BRF.html?scp=10&sq=sex+abuse&st=nyt
"according to a study" by "a team led by Dr. Brian Primack of the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine"..."Lyrics about drugs, alcohol and tobacco pervade popular music."

and I think, aha! so there really IS an Institute for the Study of the Painfully Obvious;
but then I learn what I think is painfully obvious is obscure to, say, Dutch civic leaders. http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/24/world/europe/24amsterdam.html?_r=1&scp=5&sq=sex+abuse&st=nyt&oref=slogin

See, I would have snarkly asked, (in a tone that begged the answer, "even a mentally handicapped chimpanzee who was blind in one eye and raised in a convent," ) "The sex trade leads to sex trafficking? who'd a thunk?"

But nay, it seems that it did NOT occur to TDutchPTB that sleaze might beget sleaze, or that de-criminalizing gateway loathsome behaviors might lead to an escalation in similar but even more extreme (and more loathsome) behaviors.

No comments: