Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 9 March 2008

Misadventures in Thrift Shopping

I love junk store and thrift shop shopping.
Even if I were financially comfortable (and I don't see that ever happening,) I would continue to shop the thrift stores.
I like the unexpectedness of the finds and the randomness of the juxtapositions... oooh, look at this new Ralph Lauren flutter-sleeved black spandex top with this '70s metallic-embroidered velvet skirt.
And since I'm costuming the kids' show in primary-colored boho/hippie/vagabond, I have an actual need to drop in at the nearby ones.
I had never encountered this before, so I never thought about it... but I could not bear to see crucifixes, dumped in a bin with stained Rubbermaid containers and throw-away florists' bud vases.
I couldn't stand to see them there, and taking them out of the bin and placing them carefully on a shelf would have done no good.
So I had to buy them.
Does that make any sense?
Anyone else thrift shop?
What do you do when you encounter sacred objects all but desecrated?
You have to buy them, right?
Since every room in the house already has at least one, I don't know what do do with these... one of them is quite beautiful.

1 comment:

Lyn F. said...

Yes, I like to do the occasional thrift shop trip myself ... I haven't encountered any religious objects in such places, however. Perhaps one wouldn't see many such items in the South, who knows ... of late, I've searched for items that could be of potential use for the churches I serve. It's the hunt that makes it fun ...