Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 11 March 2008

Sober Inebriation

A blog, new to me, dense and rich as a good fruitcake.
(About which confection I will brook no petty insults or cruel japery, the subject seems risible to the foolish only because a good fruitcake is as rare as truffles -- but it is worth its weight in beluga, it is one of the pinnacles of the culinary arts, and since, as artists and their admirers know, it is in the great acts of creativity that we approach most closely the Divine, I would say that my Mother, the baker of a very fine fruitcake indeed, is that much nearer to...but I digress.)
Good thoughts and good culling of others thoughts...give it a read.

http://soberinebriation.blogspot.com/

(Given its title, it amuses me that what brought me to it was Belloc's poem in praise of wine-- well, after all, the good Lord did not provide milk for the wedding guests,did He? nor make running water the matter for the Blessed Sacrament? He chose wine as the accident of His most Precious Blood, thereby ennobling all wine, no?)

No comments: