Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 4 August 2009

Holy Hour

We had perhaps 85 people for the Holy Hour with Exposition and Benediction for the Year for Priests, on the Feast of St John Vianney.
85? I don't think that's bad at all.
I butchered, of all things, Holy God We Praise Thy Name.
Could have been worse, I could have screamed out loud, (and almost did.)

I've never had a charley horse before, and I didn't know it was possible to have on in your toe.

As we finished the Divine Praise and I swung back around on the bench -- zing! my big toe, by which of course, since I am descended from the High Kings, I mean my second toe, suddenly jerked to one side at a horrific angle shooting an electric current through the rest of my foot that could have lit up an airfield.

I didn't even know my name, much less what key I was playing in.

So it goes.... sorry, Lord.

I'm glad I didn't bother formatting additional verses of HGWPTN, and sending them to TPTB. I had had started on it, because with a "worship aid", (a rare bird in our anti-deforestation-paper-saving community,) we were not limited to the few in the hymnal, and some of the less-used verses seemed particularly pertinent, and besides wouldn't we want to sing a complete, albeit paraphrased, Te Deum?

Apparently not, the program provided words and music for 3 verses, with a big note -- we will only sing the first two.

And the Holy Spirit can just go soak His head?

So it was laziness, or defeatism, or something, but I knew any work I put in on it would be wasted, right?

Except why would that have mattered, I should have done the work and offered it to them anyway, no?
Why should the fact that my efforts would be wasted, my contribution ignored, play into my decision?
I wouldn't have been doing it for them, (despite their being in the position to accept or reject my offering.)

The humility of St John Vianney fascinates me. And shames me
.St. John Mary Vianne

No comments: