Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 6 August 2009

I need to clean up my language...

I'm serious, so if you are likely to be offended, don't read this.

I used some unseemly language.
I had a choral rehearsal, (secular choir, not my church gig, Deo gratias,) and suggested that some of the second altos could beef up the tenor line in one section where the women were tacet, if they so chose, and if they had a nice "ballsy" sound.
I had only thought of the word metaphorically, and until it was out of my mouth, I hadn't considered its literal meaning.
Well, I am very sorry.
And I apologized profusely.
(I should have, uh.... calibrated my words differently?)

But I've been pondering since, what adjective should I have used? I can't come up with another one that conveys what I wanted to convey. My vocabulary is deteriorating...

5 comments:

Carleigh said...

We call it "using your man-voice" around here.

Scelata said...

LOL!

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Dad29 said...

Gutsy, man-like, Tenoric, Baritonesque, Bar-room, (high-end bar, not dump)...

cantatrix said...

Something's wrong with 'ballsy'? ;)

Love ya, G

Jenny

Heath Morber said...

I use "ballsy" quite a bit, actually. I'm sure some of my more devout sopranos are initially scandalized, but they get over it by the end of the semester.