Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 17 August 2009

Small World - sometimes it depresses me...

Last week I was privileged to attend the vesting of three novices into the Canons Regular of Saint John Cantius in the context of Solemn (first) Vespers for the Feast of the Assumption, and the First Professions of three young men at Mass that evening, as well as the renewal of vows by a larger number. (I hope I have all these terms right, though I probably have not...)

A woman whom I though looked familiar though the same thing of me, and it turned out that she had attended the Chant Intensive with Scott Turkington that preceded this year's Colloquium.
Her son was vested that afternoon.

Small world?
Yes, very small.
Sometimes the recognition of this fact saddens me.
Isn't it possible to view the fact that I, who am hardly knowledgeable, scarcely competent, and barely active, know personally so many people who seem to be the movers and shakers in the movement, as a reflection of how very few of us followers there are?

The ephemerists are making much, in their reporting of the mean old men investigating the heroic old ladies, * of the fact that, yeah, the orders that embrace continuity and tradition and Tradition and orthodoxy may be the only ones quickening, but they are still puny, in comparison to their "discovering new ways of being Church" and "moving beyond Christianity" older sisters, whose orders suffer from organizational osteoporosis.

But in addition to the fact that the adherents of T & t are quickening, are vital, are growing, I am gladdened by a kind of cranky desperation I am reading from the dinosaurs.
"Smoldering resistance" characterizes the conversations"'we all [emphasis supplied] have shared"?
No, sorry...
(And give me leave to disbelieve that Fred Moleck has actually had any conversations in which anyone asked "Why was the pope's back toward us when he celebrated Mass in the Sistine Chapel last January?"
I would have believed it if he had said the questions amongst those of like mind to him went something like, "How can the pope dare to celebrate other than how we have claimed for the past 40 years that everyone must, thereby proving us to have been wrong/prevaricating/out of touch?"

* How odd... the blog post worrying about the risk of whiplash to the elderly , (not to mention broken hips!) seems to have been removed.

No comments: