Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 19 August 2009

Whiskey Tango Hotel

When the actual facts don't support the narrative you've chosen....
What to do, what to do?
It's not surprising that a man of Gingrich's ambitions would be drawn to the grandeur of worship at the basilica.

Look, I can't think of anything I like about Gingrich.
I don't agree with his politics.
I can't imagine circumstances under which I would vote for him.
I think him, (for no specific reason, just a visceral reaction,) smarmy.
But, HUH?
WTH kind of indication of a man's ambition is it, that he is drawn to a rite, and a celebration of that rite, that makes all men equal; makes him subordinate to a much greater reality, to greater Person, (to three Persons,); is liturgical and therefore limits his autonomy...

3 comments:

Mr. C said...

Geri, you have struck the vampire at the center of its heart with a righteous stake.
"But thou when thou shalt pray, enter into thy chamber, and having shut the door, pray to thy Father in secret, and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee."
Douay-Rheims Mt.6.6
Then go back one verse. Oops.
I don't dislike, like, or hate Newt. I am compelled to love him and give him the benefit of the doubt in all his public and private comings and goings.
But this constant barrage of posturing as the latest, greatest, time-tested sage that the GOP, wink wink, ought to elevate to the '12 nom "santo subito" and by the attrition of the juniors, who save for Pawlenty and Jindal, are imploding, is ridiculous. He was handed the keys to the Wonka Factory in '92 congress, and he chose to waste time with Whitewater/Lewinsky. Not to mention, the, uh, annulments and his lack of discreet timing when having a future "Never Mrs. Gingrich" sign off on same. Argghh.
I held my nose for "W" twice, then left GOP and parties for good.
To paraphrase the Who, I won't get fooled again."
Where's Goldwater when we need him?
And, for the record, I'm not a Palin hater.

Scelata said...

Ooooh, I knew I would regret posting that the way I posted it.

I don't hate the politician I mentioned either.
I love him, as you remind us we are obliged to do.

But I wasn't trying to establish my bona fides as anti-him, just that even without being "on his side" I found the writers suggestion that it would be his own ambition that attracted him to beauty and splendor in the liturgy beyond the pale.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Mr. C said...

Oh, nevermind. Now I've got both you and Todd Flowerday on each shoulder reminding the old man to read the post better!
Backing away slowly towards the door, curtsy, bow, curtsy, bow...