Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 28 October 2009

Saint Michael probably enjoys having a gimme, from time to time....

Very interesting thread on Fr Z's, discussing a recent talk by an exorcist.
I don't know a lot about the subject, and don't think I've ever met an exorcist -- or anyone in need of his services.
Though I think I may have been prayed over by a priest (now ex-,) mentioned in the thread. Not sure of the name of the priest at the "healing Mass" I attended, but it was in Florida.
One of the weirder parts of my life....

A commenter suggests that you mention the devil "around the parish sometime and watch the eyes roll," (no doubt,) and correctly goes on to name where the blame for the State Formerly Known As Sin ©, is now oft placed.
Saint Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the wickedness and snares of vague social forces.
May God rebuke them, we humbly pray;
and do Thou, O Prince of the Heavenly Host -
by the Power of God -
thrust into hell, all the vague social forces,
which prowl throughout the world seeking the ruin of souls.

Amen.

I did appreciate the simple explanation of the difference between "deprecatory prayer (i.e. begging the help of God and the Saints, especially the Blessed Virgin), [and] imprecatory (i.e. “commanding”) prayer," (I didn't know imprecation was ever categorized as "prayer,") and this link to the "Current Norms Governing Exorcisms."

(I suppose as a kid I might have had what the comboxites call "an unhealthy interest" in these matters.)

No comments: