Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Saturday 6 December 2014

‘Wearing the Veil’ on the Solemnity of the Immaculate Conception

My poor husband will probably feel uncomfortably conspicuous, and it's the most minimalist  of Ordinary Form Masses at the most casual of parishes that we will attend, (and need I add? nary a word of Latin is ever spoken or sung,) --  but I'd been thinking about wearing a veil to Mass Monday morning.

Frankly, if I do we shall actually be less conspicuous than usual, since I am "that one that wears a hat," to most of my fellow parishioners.

Nicely, this is an initiative on colleges, not something started by crones like me. I did wear a hat or veil to Church as a little one, but I don't remember when we stopped. Pretty sure we all went bare-headed by the time of my Confirmation, (don't remember First Communion.)

Was women covering and men uncovering in the presence of the Blessed Sacrament something that had the force of law at any point, or was it mere custom?

This is a question I have about so many of what I have come to realize seemed arbitrary changes in the wake of the Council.

The question of when Christmastide ends, for instance - I know, I know, it's the Baptism of our Lord now, but prior to that, was it officially or only customarily anything different?

Anyway, in one of the Rose's bureaus there was a mantilla in a little case, and I think I shall veil.

No comments: