Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 21 February 2008

Pop Culture and Geezers

It may seem that I give overmuch attention of late to the more unseemly and frivolous aspects of modern life, (particularly for some one with my aspirations.)
The fact is, I am doing things, watching things, and reading things I would otherwise probably abstain from during Lent, did I not now need better command of pop culture references.
Yes, I NEED it... unfortunately
Really, what was I thinking when I agreed to this directorial assignment?
Well, I was thinking that it would be less work, having once been coaxed into the directing, to direct a musical with which I was already familiar, (albeit a familiarity from my remote, remote youth....)
And that a show that was bit- and gimmick- heavy would be an easier task for a cast without much in the way of skills or experience.
What I did not consider was that direction of, really "invention" of such a production relies heavily on references to a culture that I am not all that in touch with.
Who knows what 12 year olds watch, think is funny, listen to, crack jokes about?
Certainly not those in advanced geezerhood such as myself.
I have always said, Shared Shtick is the Basis for All Lasting Relationships.
(I have too, I've said it just like that, as if stating some profound philosophy. Not as bad as DM, with his pompous, oft-repeated, "..... or as I like to say....," as if in quoting himself he was showing himself in touch with some celebrity all the rest of us might enviously yearn to be on such terms of intimacy with. But I digress.)
Anyway, I do need to build a relationship with these kids, both to direct them successfully and to make the piece grow organically, (I HAAAAAAAAATE plays and musicals where a performer indulges in an eccentricity of readings or physicality, or pseudo-improvisational business which he clearly does not own....)
So, hang out in Malls, watch even more idiocy on TV than is my wont, infiltrate Facebook, listen to cringe-worthy music?

No comments: