Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 22 May 2008

Zenit

I reprint, in its entirety, an email I received, (I think yesterday, but I might as well have been aboard a submarine the past three days, between directing the children and fighting through a cold, but more about the former later.)
Anyway, I agree utterly with the author, with the organization, it IS a worthy cause, and if you have a few bucks to spare, I respectfully suggest....
p.s. I did not find their Beg and Grovel campaign even slightly excessive, and I say this as a long time kvetcher about PBS, NPR, every classical music station to which I listen, etc., etc., etc.)
Dear friends,
A few readers have written us to complain about our donations campaign. "Isn't
ZENIT supposed to be free?" they ask. Others query, "Isn't this barrage of
letters an exercise of psychological pressure on readers?"
I can assure you, no one wishes we could shorten or simply omit this ask-a-thon
more than we do! Appealing to the generosity of our readers is a sort of
necessary evil for ZENIT -- it's what allows us to keep ZENIT cost-free for the
many who simply cannot pay.
In fact, as of now only about 3.5% of ZENIT's half-million readers donates
anything at all.
But the campaign also allows you, our readers, to perform a good work, a
"corporal work of mercy." Giving alms to those who beg carries with it an
eternal reward, our Lord promises.
If the campaign feels like pressure to you, maybe it's your conscience inviting
you to give a little something to this worthy, non-profit enterprise. Your
little sacrifice will keep ZENIT providing the best Catholic news for another 10
years!
To send a donation, click here:
http://www.zenit.org/english/donation.html
For questions or more information, contact us at infodonations@zenit.org
Thanks for your generosity!
With my best wishes,
Karna Swanson Lozoya
ZENIT

No comments: