Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 19 May 2015

One Little Word

Corpus Christi Watershed has some downloads of early offerings in the attempts to supply the vernacular Mass with worthy musical settings, (that is to say, worthy of the activity that is the Source and Summit of our faith, perhaps of our very existence on earth - was the task ever approached with the fear and trembling it deserved? Because, you know, unlike the Pope, I am a big fan of fear, and don't think, as the Holy Father does, that those who experience it evince an "attitude" that is "not Christian." But perhaps like Yogi, the Pope "really didn't say everything he said." And I digress.)

Jeff Ostrowski sidetracks a little:
By the way, I wish ICEL had kept “peace on earth to men of good will.” I hate the wording in the current version. If they were set upon avoiding the word “men,” I wish they would have done something like “peace on earth to those of good will.” But nobody asked me.
I have to disagree, that would open a Costco-sized can of worms.

I can hardly believe it is necessary to say this, but O, the times, O the mores!

To replace "people" with "those" would open the door to revision according to the madness that tries to assert that not all "persons" are "people." 
Once society accepts that, (and it seeming to be getting perilously close,) who is to say that the Lord did not give his life upon the cross for chimpanzees and dolphins? 

Look how eager people were to report that "Pope Francis has declared that dogs go to heaven."
I fear that before society's current set of neuroses and mania run their course, and a corrective sets in, species fluidity will be as accepted by the chattering classes as gender fluidity.

As for me and my house, we will believe in human exceptionalism.

No comments: