Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 8 May 2015

The Fragrance of Penguins

Paperbacks.
What did you think I was talking about?
From MentalFloss, interesting items about real paper and ink books, as sold in real brick and mortar stores, by real flesh and bone people.
This tickled me -
They want to help you find your book, but they can’t if you don’t know the book’s name, author, or what it was about. ... “One funny thing that happens with customers is they get the titles totally wrong... High school kids will say ‘I’m looking for ‘How To Kill a Mockingbird’ or ‘Angry Grapes.’”
This resonated with me -
 people come in waxing rhapsodic about the smell of books, the feel of books...Some booksellers can identify books by their smell. Especially used booksellers. “These Penguins have their own particular odor,” Cohen says. That odor? Vanilla. Others might smell like almond or coffee. 
And this confused me -
At The World's Biggest Bookstore in Toronto, “the Bible was the number one stolen book of all time.”
Stealing the Bible, that I believe, but "the world's biggest bookstore?"
I was sure that that title was held by something mostly underground in Cambridge or Oxford to which I'd been?

But things change, who knows?

No comments: