Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 4 July 2007

Summorum Pontificum

According to the excellent blog Rorate Coeli (not perhaps as "insider" as Lispers, but very on top of things in certain foreign lands, and without the cloying prissiness that sometimes mars L in the W,)
http://rorate-caeli.blogspot.com
(yeah, yeah, yeah, some day I'll learn how to link properly...)
the incipit of the new Motu Proprio is Summorum Pontificum, "the Supreme Pontiffs' ."

Their what? she wonders with a little frisson of anticipation.

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=19978542&postID=2908926555186124269
I suppose because it can have so little effect on my own worship, (and certainly on my job,) I can await it with nothing more than joyful hope and a rather delightful-feeling curiosity - pleasure denied those who foresee, or think they can foresee, a drastic change for the better.

For them, the anticipation must be painful.

Pray God, it really will bring about an improvement in their church-going lot.
Also on Rorate, a post contrasting some "typical" celebrations of the Ordinary and the Extraordinary Rites.
I am well aware that despite some truly horrid and truly screwy and, in some cases, truly sacrilegious celebrations of the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, I have been very fortunate in having choices, in never living in precincts that absolutely condemned me to the soul-sucking pain of week after week after week of such liturgies.
Either because I was on the road, or because it was a temporary aberration in the usual procedure or atmosphere of my regular church I have never suffered the way I know some people have.

As I told several people at Mundelein (in one of the moments of idiotic frankness which I am endeavoring to ban from my life,) for yeeeeeeeeeeeeeears, I thought the "RadTrads" were exaggerating, mistaken or simply lying.
Oh, yes, there were ocassional wierdnesses near where I grew up -- but a single episode of fat girls in filmy dance skirts and leotards swooping down an aisle does not a liturgical dance insurrection make. Yeah, the Faith Formation teachers were sweet young college girls a-strumming their guitars, but music at Mass was good.
So I honestly didn't know how bad it was in how many places until after school.

So I wish us all much joy in the motu proprio. I wish us fervent, solemn Extraordinary Rites, and renewed, re-invigorated, reverent Ordinary Rites.

God bless us, every one.

Ah, did I mention, I found a copy of the Jungmann History of the Roman Rite -- this time in English?
I wish I read French.
Or had someone to whom I could recommend that other copy from the library at St Mary's. I must remember that where I am near ANY kind of good library -- there are often volumes for sale that will not have found their way to others with the same interest who are willing to pay ... drastically more (I think 75 was the least on ABEBooks...)

And I think I'll go sing Vespers by myself, now.

No comments: