Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Thursday 5 July 2007

Liturgical Musicians' Salaries

Interesting thread over at the New Liturgical Movement.

http://thenewliturgicalmovement.blogspot.com/2007/07/are-you-paying-your-organist-enough.html

Many interesting, (and surprisingly disparate, considering how many of those involved are involved in some sort of liturgical ministry,) points of view.

Some remind me of the conversation I have from time to time with Fr. Gary.

Me: You look tired

He: Well, I had to... and then I need to ... and people want me... and they expect... well, I don't hafta tell YOU.

Even with the most compassionate of outsiders, no one ever thinks anyone else's job is all that hard...

I remember when I used to lurk and post on the wedding planning newsgroups, and someone had her panties in a twist because her wedding plans were discombobulated because their priest had had a nervous break-down.

"What kinda stress could a PRIEST possibly have?"

I let her have it with both barrels. (And I wasn't involved in any parish business then, I'd probably inadvertantly drive her sobbing from the internet, now that I'm more personally and emotionally invested.... not that I'm so awful as to say aloud things like, "The bishop is working our preists to death!!!!! No, I wouldn't do that.)

Fr K had a moment in conversation with me -- he made an unusually generous offer per hour, but I realized he had no idea how many hours we were talking about.

Your sermon takes about 6 minutes, I said, says I, I bet most people think it takes you about six minutes to write it.

I must say, he has been a more than generous boss, I always marvel at the horror stories I hear and read from other church musicians.

No comments: