Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 24 August 2007

Give us this day, our daily red....

Being the most parsimonious person to ever purchase potables, on one of our recent excursions to the Far North (read, "suburbs out of our price range",) during a stop at some slightly upscale grocers looking for good lower fat cheese, I loaded up on some drastically price-slashed Chateau Boit de Carton.
(What had caught my eye was some nice cream sherry which, along with basil and nutmeg, comprises the indispensable seasoning palette to me. I can do without everything else, though I admit the Cooking 101 lesson I gave Himself was,"if you don't like something , anything --add either sherry, parmesan or both to it.)
Anyway, it wasn't just inexpensive, it was cheap, drastically less than the lowest-priced box wine in the 5 lt. bags, so I figured if it were swill, it would do for the half glass I always have at night if I haven't had a drink (for medicinal purposes, thank you very much.... ;o))
Or sangria, or a marinade, or stew.
Well, let me just tell you, even Himself, who HAS a palate for the stuff (and can't even choke down some of the things I can drink with enjoyment,) was amazed.
I wish they'd had more.
I wish I had a cellar full of the little black boxes.
Yes, Chateau Boit de Carton has come of age.
I'd read the articles over the past two years, and given a try to some of the "newer, better," costlier wine coming out of smaller, more prestigious vineyards and wineries and found it no improvement at all over the cheap jugs and boxes, in some cases, despite a heftier price tag not as good, fit only for mixing with sodas for summer punch.

So I am here to tell you, Voyage by Origin cabernet is good.

(Incidentally the quest for good low fat cheese has borne no fruit. I don't understand, when I was growing up, we could find fresh skim [not part skim] mozzarella, and wonderful low fat goudas and havarti -- do they just not exist anymore, or is it the part of the country? Himself will just have to soldier on without the one item he is really missing on his new regimen.)

No comments: