Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Tuesday 28 August 2007

The most important conversation of my vocation

I had, after cantor practice last night, a possibly pregnant discussion with one of my cantors, (whom I have taken to calling "Psalmist" on the programs I make up for the priest celebrant and other ministers.)
I was going to call it important in my "career" but it is not a career, is it? It is a vocation, being a liturgical musicians.
And God willing, it may have further reaching effect than most of what I do.
She is devout, intelligent, highly skilled, interested, careful to stay informed.... and she has been doing this longer than I have, (probably even if you count my youthful foray into music directorship.)
She comes from a family that has produced two priests, her parents are church musicians and liturgists, also devout and deeply, deeply involved in education and parish life.
People with a respect for knowledge, and a knowledge that God and our worship of Him are paramount in our little lives.
Further when I explained to the cantor corps several years ago WHY I unlike all my predecessors absolutely refused to substitute someone else's texts for the words of the Roman Missal, (to whit, "troping" the Agnus Dei,) she already knew and agreed with me having been privy to a disagreement between a liturgist and a priest in her own immediate family. (The former begrudgingly admitted that the latter was correct.)
So, table is set that's the sitch--
As rehearsal was breaking up, we discussed the fact that one of the cantors said he didn't like a particular "hymn" I had chosen. I told her I din't "like" it at all, but it was the best "match" and our parish sings it well.
She asked, "for the readings? yeah..." and I interrupted with, "no, for the proper."

Blank stare.
I explained how the hymns with which "we fill in the slots" are a substitute, really a last ditch option for the texts that are assigned, (other than the not-required-but-you-just-try-doing-away-with-it recessional,) for communities that don't have the capability to do it up right.
This is all news to her.
I show her even in our disposable missallettes the printed antiphon.
I explained about the common psalms, the offertory antiphons that our Conference hadn't even bothered to publish or even have officially translated, the communio, the ad libitum options thereof....
Eye-opening opportunity for me, and her.
(And for her niece, a 9th grader who I can see have far-reaching effect and powers some day. But that's another story)

St Gregory, pray for us.
Sr Cecilia, pray for us.
St Charles Borromeo, pray for us.
St Benedict, pray for us.
St Joseph, pray for us.

No comments: