Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 19 August 2007

WWJD?

Ever ask yourself this question?
Sure ya have, even if only half-consciously, even if you don't wear the bracelet...
Well, ICEL (or is it the Bishops?) currently has us hearing this at Mass today: Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth? No, I tell you, but rather division.
Or if you prefer, Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division (KJV)
Or even Think ye, that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, no; but separation. (D-R)
Or yet again: Putatis quia pacem veni dare in terram ? non, dico vobis, sed separationem :
(Sorry, no Greek or Hebrew fonts, so that's where we stop.)
And this is the interpretation: Jesus 's plan was to bring joy, peace and happiness.
None of this "separation stuff." No hard sayings! Wait, wait, come back, when I said I was going to give you my own flesh to eat, it was just a metaphor! And even if it weren't, you don't have to agree with me, just com'on back! Really, it's more important that we all make nice than that we uphold the Truth, forget I said anything!

No comments: