Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 5 August 2007

St Noel Chabanel Lectionary Psalms

Wow.
A complete lectionary cycle (well, not yet completed, but purt dang near complete, and eventually it will be, ) all three years of responsorial psalms.
Very worthy, dignified music.
Skillful accompaniment.
Faithful texts.
BEAUTIFULLY laid out (highly readable, minimum page turns, clear font.; you know my complaints about the Dread Gather...)

And they are a free will GIFT to the Church!

Having done this for many Sundays over the past three years, I am all too well aware of how much work this is, (and mine are not, of course, of this quality... I am lucky if I can remember what parallel fifths ARE, much less remember to avoid them... of course, I am lazy and now that I am not trading off with a sub or associate, I often don't write out an accompaniment, or at least not a legible, printed one, so there is no evidence of my melodic and harmonic sins. )


Of the several that I've printed out and played through, I fully intend to use those for which there is not already a setting in my parish's collective consciousness. (It would cause more long-term harm than good to eliminate all the Celebration series, unworthy though they are... all I can do for now is to correct the texts, make the verses more singable, etc. Baby steps.)

I need to explore the site a little more thoroughly (Sundays are NOT the best time for me to do anything requiring brain power or even consciousness... I've pretty much used up my store of both by the time the last Mass is over.)

St Noel Chabanel is one of the North American martyrs, I gather.. (Reminds me, Black Robe was a wonderful film, but too harrowing to suggest to Himself for the parish film series.)

Any way, God bless Jeff Ostrowski! (and hat tip and thanks to the New Liturgical Movement for pointing this project out -- I had read and used things from Ostrowski's site when I first came online, IIRC, but had lost the links or something. I'm a mess.)

http://chabanelpsalms.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

God bless YOU for all you do for liturgical music!