Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 31 May 2009

"Do you mind if I make a suggestion.....?"

And as if I had only just fallen off the proverbial turnip truck, I reply, "No, of course not."

Which is how I came to receive advice from a sixteen year old that I ought not to program Latin for the congregation.

Because they don't know it.

I was in the middle of something else, and so could only give him a very small portion of my spiel about whattheChurchactuallyasksustodo, and whatVaticanTwosaid, and whattheGIRMsaysaboutLatin, and...

I also overheard someone who thinks of herself as "progressive" complaining that she is about to be expected to learn different English texts for the Mass than she has used "for d*** near half [of her] life!"

Who, I ask, is the hide-bound traditionalist? who is it who sees the liturgical experience as akin to a fly in amber?

No comments: