Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 27 May 2009

Doh!

Homer Simpson, liturgical musician and technidiot, here...

Like many people at my skill level, I know I need to solfege every day if I am ever going to acquire any facility, I really do know that -- but I somehow don't do it.

And like many people at my income level I have abysmally slow dial-up.

And like many people at my intellectual level it take me forever to see the obvious.

Yes, if I place my liber and a pair of spectacles from Dollar Bill's that are the correct magnification for that print, (NOT the degree I need for the monitor screen,) the seemingly interminable wait for some plages to load is now filled delightfully and usefully.

As I said, doh!

(Strange, is it not, that the set which comprises the musical tasks on which I need to work to fulfill the obligations placed on me by my employers so that I can continue to eat, and play the mortgage, and that sort of thing, has hardly any intersection with the set which comprises the musical tasks on which I need to work to fulfill the obligations placed on me by my Church and my own understanding of the liturgy, the Source and Summit of our faith....)

1 comment:

Mary Jane Ballou said...

For me, solfege is like flossing. A very worthy activity that I will easily and happily forget.

The hygenist at the dentist told me to commit to flossing one day a week for a month, then add a second, etc. It was accessible.

Maybe I should try that with solfege.