Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 22 May 2009

Ministers of... Music, Hospitality, Sound, Doughnuts?

I don't know... "minister? should we all be claiming this title?
We've had some sound system problems, and the techie who came out to look at it wanted to know who the "minister of Sound" was and if he would be there for the consultation.
Wikipedia, NOT NECESSARILY CORRECT BUT arbiter of common knowledge, and the commonly accepted says that, "that in Christian churches, a minister is someone who is authorized by a church or religious organization to perform clergy functions such as teaching of beliefs; performing services such as weddings, baptisms or funerals; or otherwise providing spiritual guidance to the community."

I hereby announce myself over buzzwording terms that, in the conduct of our faith life demand to be used with more precision.

1 comment:

Mary Jane Ballou said...

Scelata, you need to understand that everyone needs to have their very own ministry. I knew we were heading for trouble years ago when I saw a book entitled, "The Ministry of Ushering," at the Daughters of St. Paul bookstore in NYC.

I'm an organist, a schola director, sometimes a choir director - but I will not refer to myself as a "minister of music" or a "pastoral musician" (whatever the heck that is). To me, it's all part of running down the role of the clergy, paving the way for a world of lay-run churches and ensuring the death of vocations (the latter justifying the former).

Of course, you do strike me as suited for the "Ministry of Fraternal/Sororal Correction." (Just kidding)