Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 19 July 2009

Bsp. Serratelli's Pastoral Letter on the Real Presence

Not quite sure how I missed this, but it was published over a month ago.
His Excellency gives me yet one more reason to thank God that he heads the US bishops Committee for Divine Worship.
I believe he truly "gets" how the way we celebrate the liturgy impacts so profoundly on our faith, and how that is all and all to how we go out and live that faith. Go read the entire thing.
Our rediscovery of this mystery opens us to the rich and inexhaustible gift of divine life. When we come to the Eucharist reverently and worthily, “we draw water joyfully from the springs of salvation (Is 12:3). In this mystery of the Eucharist, we are renewed and the Church herself grows. ...

From the earliest times, the Eucharist held a special place in the life of the Church. St. Ignatius, who, as a boy, had heard St. John preach and knew St. Polycarp, a disciple of St. John, said, “I have no taste for the food that perishes nor for the pleasures of this life. I want the Bread of God which is the Flesh of Christ and for drink I desire His Blood which is love that cannot be destroyed” (Letter to the Romans, 7).
I desire His Blood which is love that cannot be destroyed.

No comments: