Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 19 July 2009

Waiting for the complaints....

I like Colin Mawby's Ite missa est.
Swell piece, festive without being jolly or undignified.

Not too long, easy pedals (yeah, yeah, a MAJOR aspect of my choices...) interesting dissonance without sounding "like monster-movie music," (a complaint Langlais nets. Yes, I said Langlais.)

But oooh, horrors, that meant that today I dared flip a toggle emblazoned with the dreaded "2'".

That's okay, I got some stuff to kvetch about too -- is it too much to ask that I not have to pick up water bottle and used kleenex after a visiting choir?

Maybe for the next Mass I'll play with fire and use a mixture....

4 comments:

Dad29 said...

Someone in my choir had to pick up a SOILED DIAPER from a bunch of Indiana hicks who visited.

Count your blessings!

Scelata said...

On behalf of all Hoosiers, I apologize.

(Save the Liturgy, save the World)

Mary Jane Ballou said...

Interestingly, children's choirs clean up after themselves for the most part. It's the adults who believe that the director is providing "servant leadership" by picking up their junk.

Oh - the kids can find their own pages in the hymnal using the index. Adults need you to find it for them.

Carleigh said...

I chuckled at Mary Jane's comment, because I've found adults seem utterly helpless as choir members and really quite thick about taking responsibility for their music & surroundings. If we lose octavos, it's ALWAYS because an adult left it in their trunk, or at home. Kids? They pay attention, and serve with gladness.

And Scelata...I like Colin Mawby at times, too, but the monster movie comment is really priceless. A friend of mine couldn't quit playing Mawby's By the Waters of Babylon and making comments about the accompaniment sounding like a seventies' horror movie. I guess I didn't watch those, and I never "got" what he was saying. When I saw your post, I couldn't help but chuckle. Thanks