Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 6 July 2009

No, I did not say they would be serving chicken at Mass...

... I said "K of C."
I have a love/hate thing with the Knights.
Get'em out there, with their capes and swards and plumed hats, let's have an honor guard, better yet, let's have a procession, get'em out there!
But keep'em out of my loft -- I spend a half hour picking up after them if they join the regulars to sing.

But what actually provokes this reflection is my going through some old VCR tapes with an eye to weeding them out, and saving whatever I meant to when I originally put them aside.
Some oooooold tapes.
Benedict's apostolic trip to the US, f'rinstance. It is wonderful and sad to hear the pithy comments from the late Fr Richard Neuhaus. But I digress.

My real reaction to the last several hours of viewing and fast-forwarding is this -- Carl Anderson? Supreme Knight?
He might be said to function as the Layman-in-Chief for the US, no?
Anyway, it's difficult to square his erudition and spirituality with the guys who belong to the K of C because it's three blocks fewer to walk to than the Elks' bar...

Well, it takes all kinds.

Appropriately for Catholics -- they are an organization of Both/And.

2 comments:

Mr. C said...

Apropos of the July 4/5 weekend, I did not know until my pastor (of all chaps!) mentioned this in a cogent homily: It was the kOFc that lobbied in '51 for the inclusion of "under God" in the Pledge of Allegience, which Ike pushed thru congress after catching it uttered so at some Presbyterian service!
Mysterious ways.

Scelata said...

Yes, I remember perhaps 3 or 4 years ago when there was one of those periodic pushes to remove "In God we trust" from our money and "under God" from the pledge, the argument that the latter, after all, wasn't really traditional, that it had been sandwiched in by, (Eeek! horrors!,) CATHOLICS!!!!, and within living memory of some people.

As if either point were relevant...

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)