1."Jesus Christ is divine mercy in person: Encountering Christ means encountering the mercy of God. The mercy of Christ is not a cheap grace; it does not presume a trivialization of evil. Christ carries in His body and on His soul all the weight of evil, and all its destructive force. He burns and transforms evil through suffering, in the fire of His suffering love."
2. "The secret of the true happiness of individuals and peoples: to believe
and proclaim that the Lord has done marvellous things for us and that His mercy is from generation to generation on those who are faithful to
3. "God loves us in a way that we might call 'obstinate' and enfolds us in His inexhaustible tenderness."
4. "We are all sinners but God heals us with an abundance of grace, mercy and tenderness."
5. "How many people also in our time are in search of God, in search of
Jesus and of His church, in search of divine mercy, and are waiting for a
'sign' that will touch their minds and their hearts! Today, as then, the evangelist reminds us that the only 'sign'
is Jesus raised on the cross: Jesus who died and rose is the absolutely
6. "Wherever people are suffering, make it your task to serve them."
7. "To understand and accept God's merciful love: May this be your
commitment, first of all in your families and then in every neighborhood"
8. "Forgiveness is above all a personal choice, a decision of the heart
to go against the natural instinct to pay back evil with evil."
9. "'Thus says the Lord, return to me with all your heart, with fasting,
with weeping, and with mourning'. But is this return to God
possible? Yes, because there is a force that does not reside in our
hearts, but that emanates from the heart of God and the power of His
mercy. ... It is possible to return to the Lord,
it is a 'grace', because it is the work of God and the fruit of faith
that we entrust to His mercy. But this return to God becomes a reality
in our lives only when the grace of God penetrates and moves our
10. "Love never ends or fails. Love never ends. Everything must be based on love - the relation between two friends, my ministry, my service; the church services in every field must be based on love. Why? Because God is Love."
11. "We must note that Christ, in revealing the love-mercy of God, at the
same time demanded from people that they also should be guided in their
lives by love and mercy. This requirement forms part of the very essence
of the messianic message, and constitutes the heart of the Gospel
12. [Our Lenten fast is not accomplished with mere abstinence from food, but with good deed; moreover] "it should lead to personal amendment and domestic harmony... Let
faults be forgiven, let bonds be loosed, offences wiped out, designs of
vengeance fall through, that the holy festival through both Divine and human
grace may find all happy, all innocent.
Ah, but which Pope, you ask? Well, 2, 6, 8, and 11 are from Pope Saint John Paul II; 4 from Pope Francis; 10, Pope Theodore II; and 12, Pope St Leo the Great. The others and the title are Pope Benedict XVI.