Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 27 June 2007

Do you remember the day you fell in love?

No, wrong question, do you remember the day you realized you had fallen in love? that that was what that unwonted but much wanted sensation was?
And you went around with a grin on your face that was so smugly infuriating that I'm sure the only thing that kept total strangers from smacking you silly was the fact that you were patently insane, and thus more to be pitied than censured?

Well, it's like that, ya see?

I walk around smirking like a simpleton.

This gathering has been superb, and it just goes from strength to strength. Fr Weber is a treasure.

And I had two moments today that I was so moved I had tears rolling down my cheek. One was simply because one of the participants was practicing, or more accurately trying out the organ (he hardly seems in need of practice,) and he was improvising on one of the Office hymns.

Yes, I'm a sucker for big organ effects (as is Himself, I wish I had a snapshot of our faces when we re-entered St John Cantius after the procession with the Blessed Sacrament, and the sound of all those pipes rang out and filled the church, and filled us.... but I digress,) but this was beyond that.
It was feeling mystically connected, through that music, (so beautifully given voice, Kurt,) with so much that has gone before, with so many souls that have gone before. (Beloved old movies from my pretentious "Im interested in the cinema," days coming into mind today -- reminded of Babette's Feast at lunch, and this reminded me of St Columbe's explication of the meaning and purpose of art in Tous Les Matins du Monde , which I don't trust myself to remember with any accuracy since I'm as giddy as if I'd been drinking.)
Stirring, really stirring.

And the other was a moment at Mass as the EP began and I looked up and saw all those priests gathered around the altar, all those strong, manly men, (and I don't just mean that central casting could have sent them...,) so many of them so young, and so obviously the first fruits of the harvest, the best humanity has to offer back to God.

And I thought of the priests at my parish, and all they do, and how wonderfully they do it, and I thought of that great, great little man in Rome, and I just realized, it's gonna be okay.

No, no, I always knew it was going to be "okay" in the long scheme of things, the gates of hell shall not prevail against it, etc.; but this was the reassurance that things are gonna be okay in the short term, too.

No comments: