Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 14 September 2007

Let there be sung Non nobis and Te Deum!

Well, done the latter for the first time....
I've been meaning to look at it and learn it for two years now, and never got around to it, because there was other music I needed to... well, whatever -- but it was EASY! no, really, EASY to read! seriously, I sight-read it, all but the first two line which I'd looked at once before. (Yes, I admit, I had a modern notation liber with me...)
The Mass at St John Cantius was very beautiful, very moving.
Himself thought the candlelit procession (another first fro me,) was reminiscent of The Godfather.

TE DEUM LAUDAMUS!!!!!!!!
(But what's a "non nobis"?) (That's semi-rhetorical, I understand Latin, what I don't get is Willy S's musical reference -- was there a normative or at least familiar setting of this most humble of triumphant phrases?)

Incidentally, Faure seems to me almost as perfect a liturgical music as Gregorian chant... it elicits thought, it compels devotion -- but it has a certain diffidence, it does not generate affect.

No comments: