Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 10 September 2007

Letter to the Bishop concerning the motu proprio

I probably should have posted this, and asked for criticisms and suggestions before sending it off, but, ah, well...
...................
Dear Bishop [X]--
In response to the Holy Father’s recent motu proprio, Summorum Pontificum, taking effect this Friday, are there any plans to make the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite any more available to the faithful of the [X] Diocese than the single Saturday afternoon anticipated Mass now celebrated in [nearby town]?
Our pastor in [my town], with three parishes to take care of, can hardly be expected to squeeze in another obligation (or pleasure,) but I was hoping there was some news that some other parish in the diocese might be offering the Mass of Blessed John XXIII.
Has anyone made known the intention to celebrate the Extraordinary Form, maybe on weekdays, or on Holy Days? Or do you yourself anticipating offering such a Mass, as several of your brother bishops in the US have done or announced plans to do?
Thank you.
Yours,
[my name]

.........
So, whaddya think? Strike the right tone, use the right terminology?
I don't expect any result, but I don't want anyone to say, "well, nobody asked...."
And I can't ask my pastor, for the reasons given, (although I know also exactly what his response would be,) and wanted to make that clear, so that I don't get the "take this up with your own pastor," response.
I'd simply like to know if I'll ever be given any options other than heading in to the Big Bad City, in Big Neighboring Diocese, since the sole opportunity in my diocese happens simultaneously with one of our most attended Masses, at which my job requires my presence.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I think that is a fantastic letter and should be used as a form letter for everyone.

Polite, direct, etc.

I hope you get something near you soon.

Scelata said...

No answer yet...

I have tried to encourage some older people who asked for years and finally gave up, to ask again, tried to convince them that NOW is the time, that their requests have the added weight of the Pope's clear approval, but now I'm worried that this will just be one more dissappointment for them.

And these are people who have remained faithful, and really WORKED as volunteers in the parish despite the temptation of a break-away Latin Mass chapel 3 blocks away.

Maybe, instead of answering me, they have just forwarded my letter to my pastor, who as I said, is too overworked for me to dream of making a request of him.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)