Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Sunday 20 January 2008

Long Mass

In some respects, for the best of reasons -- large crowd, many communicants.
But their lack of familiarity with the responses, (and I don't mean the ones with the whacked-out cues from a minister of improv,) and the ritual postures leads me to believe many of them may not be ... regular church-goers?
And the main reason it was long was because of an invented rite.
Don't get me wrong, I like the little made up ceremonies, I think they are good for the families and good for the children. (I think the Angel one is a hoot, and utterly, utterly charming. And it happens AFTER Mass.)
I do not however like these masques inserted in Mass, I do not like the pretense that they are part of the sacrament (despite the serious sounding name...) and I especially do not like them being shoe-horned into a liturgy at a parish whose members have not yet come to terms with all those things that are SUPPOSED to happen at Mass.
We will never convince them of that, which is true, because there is so much else we are trying to convince of along those lines that is false.
They don't buy that all the rites of initiation belong in the Paschal Vigil because they can smell the fake stuff like the Rite of Enrollment for First Reconciliation. If TPTB lump it all together, the genuine with the counterfeit, how are the PIPs to do other than lump it together and reject it all?

No comments: