Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Monday 7 January 2008

R.I.P., Albert Fuller

Now that I am back reading and blogging, I learned, via Sir Monocle (a whimsical blog I highly recommend to all of you, my many,,,, er, my two readers,) that Albert Fuller, the great harpsichordist died this past year.
How do I miss things in the news this way?
Ah, well...
I only heard him live the once, and met him at his home in Manhattan.... I can't remember what professor had arranged the demonstration and impromptu concert .... Bob White? Mr Grubb?
I remember feeling very sophisticated, very cosmopolitan indeed. Going to a conservatory, in the Big City, dropping in at a swanky, modern (very modern, I recall stair railings like something from an ocean liner, ) NYC apartment, somewhere in the Lincoln Center area, IIRC, (and all that space! room to spare, for several instruments and a de facto audience. My acquaintances all lived in shoe box sized rat-holes...)
What a dreamer, I was, how unrealistic.
And how odd -- that none of the dreams of those days came true, and I am more happy than I ever imagined possible.
Life is full of wondrous surprises.
But I digress.
Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't worry, you have more than two readers, we just don't comment much!