Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 23 January 2008

obedience

A reading from the online guide to St. Benedict (http://www.e-benedictine.com/)

But this very obedience will be acceptable to God and pleasing to allonly if what is commanded is done without hesitation, delay, lukewarmness, grumbling, or objection.For the obedience given to Superiors is given to God,since He Himself has said,"He who hears you, hears Me" (Luke 10:16).
And the disciples should offer their obedience with a good will, for "God loves a cheerful giver" (2 Cor. 9:7).
For if the disciple obeys with an ill will and murmurs, not necessarily with his lips but simply in his heart,then even though he fulfill the command yet his work will not be acceptable to God,who sees that his heart is murmuring.
And, far from gaining a reward for such work as this,he will incur the punishment due to murmurers,unless he amend and make satisfaction.

Food for thought.
To whom do I owe obedience?
To whom do you?
Do I obey?
Do you?
My mother? my spouse? my pastor?
Do I owe him obedience?
My boss, who is my pastor, and I are often in disagreement , (don't misunderstand, I love him, we just have very differrent views on many, many things, and seldom have the same ideas on how best to proceed.)
Since he's my pastor I owe him obedience, to some extent, do I not?
Is my reluctant, or even sometimes sullen acquiescence really disobedinece? I behave as I would in a secualr situation where I was at odds with someone whose right, ultimately, any decision it was to make. And I continue to try to "get my way." (which, despite
On the other hand, I must try to ultimately bring our pracitice into line with what is right. Right? (Contrary to the opinion of her nibs, I am not trying to enforce my personal taste, my personal opinion, but rather what in my judgement is right, what is called fro, what is required by those to whom I owe obedinece. But that's a different matter.)
Anyway, thinking about obedience....
I alwasy wanted to be a priest.
Quite aside from having ovaries, I'm not exactly cut out for it, am I? vows and all?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You always owe your boss "obedience" whether you like him or not, whether you agree with him or not. If disagreements are more the norm and you feel as if your "standards" are being comprimised then it's time to move to another job.

That's my $.02 :)

Scelata said...

Anon, I don't think you read the selection from the Rule of St Benedict

"obedience will be acceptable to God ... only if what is commanded is done without hesitation, delay, lukewarmness, grumbling, or objection...For if the disciple obeys with an ill will and murmurs, not necessarily with his lips but simply in his heart,then even though he fulfill the command yet his work will not be acceptable to God"

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)