Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Wednesday 6 August 2008

A Burden of Song

Dr Mike on the CMAA discussion boards a thread, (about, of all things, serial music! .... but I digress,) said something of such great good sense, and said it so well that I must repeat it here:
we can jump up and down and holler about singing in church and accuse people of not being properly catechized if they don't -- sound familiar? -- or we can work with the situation. Train those who want it but provide good scholas and choirs for the churches to once again sing for the people. Don't deny people the opportunity, but let them understand their role, which is not carrying the entire burden of the singing at Mass.
I have tried to explain before that we are often asking too much of the congregation.
Eleven musical numbers at my parish. Yes, some of them are very short (the gospel acclamation, the memorial acclamation, and the "great" amen,) and some of them the burden is mostly on someone else, cantor or choir, (the kyrie sometimes, and the psalm always,) but still, eleven musical numbers!
And some of them go on....and on.... and on....
We expect people who are walking, watching for the usher's cues, and EATING, (I may unblasphemously say,) for Christ's sake, to also sing for longer than Billy Bigelow's Soliloquy would last with the most self-indulgent leading man.
It's unreasonable!
And that Notre Dame study of parish life some 20 years ago or so, gave evidence that it's counter-productive -- the more the congregation is asked to sing, the less well they will sing.
The trouble is, of course, that those who have placed this burden on their backs will also have very wrong-headed notions of the hierarchy of what should be sung, hymns hymns and more hymns....

10 comments:

Mr. C said...

Dear Scelata,
Was that digression necessary to make your point? Do you the backstory of any of the aspects of the exchange you cite? And does it give you personal pleasure to characterize my person and actions in such a demeaning manner in your public forum?
I enjoy your blog, BTW.

Scelata said...

You are right, it was totally unnecessary, I shall remove the reference immediately.
I enjoy your contributions on the CMAA board very much.

Mr. C said...

Thank you for your consideration, Scelata. As I've confided to Jeffrey lately, it's very rough-going at my parish right now, and that has affected my outlook upon my whole freakin' raisin duhtruh; heck, and I've been at my place 15+ years with 40 in! I'm a freakin' geezer and clerical crap still brings me down!
And rest easy on one point, you're not the first to dub me "long-winded," nor likely the last. It's quite true, matter of fact. "Blowhard" wouldn't even be off the mark! But Mike and others about do know my heart is true. I just was endowed (curse/blessing) with a John the Baptist demeanor.
I'm really not sulking so much as going on hiatus and retreat. I have a feeling my prison music ministry commitment is going to become very much like a life jacket for a few months.
Thanks for responding.
C

Scelata said...

"it's very rough-going at my parish right now,"

Great God in heaven, what is happening?
I was just blogging on this. I mean, I always knew my situation was iffy, but so many others places wonderful progress seemed to be being made that it gave me hope, and now people IRL and on line all seem to be approaching crses at their parishes.

I pray it's just a last stand by the old guard, but I fear it's old nick, not to be too melodramatic.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Mr. C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mr. C said...

http://www.firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=6165&var_recherche=clericalism

http://catholicsensibility.wordpress.com/2008/07/14/what-is-clericalism/#comments

Summaries of "the Troubles," philosophically speaking.

Scelata said...

Oh, fine, Charles, get my hopes up, make me think I suddenly have so many readers they are lining up to post comments ;o)
Seriously, thanks for the link.

(Save the Liturgy, Save the World)

Mr. C said...

Well, you did me a big favor with the link to the Church of Christ guy's post!
What a motto-
"I will remain apart from the rat race because I am not a rat."
If I could get away with it, I'd have most of his article re-printed in our parish bulletin; as if anyone would actually read it, much less get it.
Yeah, that depressed.