Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 22 August 2008

Who's that pretty god in that mirror there? (which? what? where? who?)

I don't make it quite a daily read, but I do enjoy Uncle Di's snarking on Off the Record, over at CWN, (now linked through Catholic Culture.)
But since he, (she? they?...who IS Uncle Di?) is such a studied ironist, I'm not always quite sure I'm not being had.
But, tip of the hat to him on this, which, though Onion-worthy, seems not to be a spoof, but genuine.
(I think it would be appropriate if, as you read, you join in a rousing chorus of "We Sing of Ourselves", to the tune of "We Come to Your Feast", though we could just sing the non-parody, "I Myself am the Bread of Life, You and I are the Bread of Life..."
I myself am the Word of God, the Ancient of Days, the Son of Man, the Alpha and the Omega; you and I are the Word of God, the Ancient of Days, the Son of Man, the Alpha and the Omega....?
Note, the thefounder of the Universal Solidarity Movement seems to be claiming it, or at least he, is Catholic, and the practice somehow fit in the Christian tradition.

Sister C. Lissy could not help laughing when she first entered the meditation room of the Universal Solidarity Movement (USM).
"I looked all around for the tabernacle in the dim light," the Congregation of Jesus nun admitted to UCA News, "but all I could see was a small ceiling fan, a tube light and a gigantic mirror on a wall."
The sari-clad nun, 32, began wondering why the room did not even have a crucifix, but then her eye caught a black, wooden sign above the two-square-meter mirror. Written on it were the English words "God within" and a phrase in Sanskrit, "Aham brahmasmi (I am God)."
The nun, a volunteer at USM headquarters at Indore, Madhya Pradesh state, 810 kilometers south of New Delhi, said an electric shock passed through her as she read the words, but the message took more than a week to sink in.
The unusual meditation room is the brainchild of 56-year-old Father Varghese Alengaden, who founded USM 16 years ago to combat the sectarianism that was then sweeping across India and leaving more than a thousand dead in riots.
The movement, the priest explained to UCA News, aims to generate responsible citizens to promote harmony among India's various groups by encouraging them to live the values of their respective religions. The "mirror room" is just one of various methods he uses to promote harmony and solidarity, he said.
Father Alengaden said Saint Paul's words, "God lives within you," prompted him to devise the room. People change drastically once they understand they are the image of God, he said, and "we'd then have no problem to accept the other person as also an image of God." In his view, this realization will help people accept plurality and equality, and dissuade them from harming others.
"The meditation room is open to all, but only one at a time," the bearded priest added in his sonorous voice. He said USM volunteers spend at least an hour a day in the room when they are in Indore, and they must keep their eyes focused on the image in the mirror while praying.
According to Sister Lissy, the six-square-meter room appears simple but praying there is tough. Initially, the idea seemed quite outlandish, she recalled, and "I used to laugh seeing me in the mirror." But after a week or so, "I realized God is within me, not in a church.[not in some heaven, lightyears away...] I also realized I was confronting myself and this helped me behave better with others."
She also discovered "more meaning" in praying before the mirror than meditating before the tabernacle or in a church. "God is merciful, beautiful, kind and compassionate, and so am I, because God is within me," she added.
This realization has helped her overcome biases, she continued. "You will not differentiate between black and white, tall and short, Hindu and Muslim, because all are the image of God and He lives in them."
She said she used to focus on her shortcomings while praying, "but once you begin to analyze yourself before the mirror, you realize that what you considered as weakness is a blessing in disguise. You learn to appreciate God's creation and thank Him." [Hey, I could get on board with this...those traitsof your you thought were sins? they're not! they're not even "short-comings! they are BLESSINGS!]
Sister Anjali John, USM's former director, says the mirror room is her strength. "I had been praying before the crucifix or the tabernacle, so I first thought it was foolish to pray before the mirror," she told UCA News.
However, the Holy Spirit nun soon realized that facing oneself is tougher than encountering others. "If you sincerely look at yourself in a mirror, it will become your strength," the 44-year-old nun said.[I love Me, Me, My Strength]
Sister Sunita Pinto, another Congregation of Jesus nun who is on a three-month training program at USM headquarters, told UCA News she finds the mirror room "wonderful," even if it distracted her at first.
After a week in the room, USM's director, Father Varghese Kunnath, 49, told UCA News, people become aware of "a divine presence" there, and "this divinity is exuded by your reflection, which in a way is just another image of God."

No comments: