Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Friday 29 August 2008

Coincidences that speak to you...

I stop dialing around, and settle on something at "On Demand," (as a distraction to keep me from getting too far on the things I ought to be doing....)
So, while catching up on paper work and the news, I get to this sentence in a Time article as I have blaring in the background a not-very-good but compulsively watchable (how could it not be with the great Emily Watson acting in it?) made-for-TV movie, (very soapy, very formulaic, very weepy,) about the effect on a family of the birth of a Down syndrome child, featuring a very affecting performance by a young woman with Down syndrome, (actually several performances, since there were children playing her at younger ages,):
The newly-announced Republican vice-presidential candidate>
is "known to conservatives for choosing not to have an abortion after learning that she was carrying a child with Down syndrome."

No comments: