Universalis, your very own breviary in pixels...

Saturday 16 August 2008

The World's Best Profession

Sir Monocle has a lovely post about his chosen profession:
I'm glad SOMEONE'S happy...
No, in all seriousness, I AM glad, and I feel that same joy sometimes. I can't say that I would recommend it to a young musician, though, at least a Catholic one...

I've been thinking lately about what it is that I really enjoy about my work in church music. Is it the practicing? The music itself? The leading of a choir?
While I studied organ playing at the university level, I can't say I enjoyed practicing that much. I think it was likely because some professor was telling me the literature I needed to learn in order to get a degree. But now that I can choose repertoire that excites me, I find practicing extrememly enjoyable. I only wish there were more hours in a day to practice.
I also enjoy leading the choir. However, coming to my position as an organist - and not a vocalist - has posed its fair share of challenges. But this is where my love of the music comes in. I honestly find choral music exciting. I only hope my enthusiasm for it comes through to the choir and the congregation. I don't find the process of teaching a choral piece to be all that different from teaching an instrumental piece of music. The basic elements are the same....
In the end, I've come to the conclusion that while these are all factors that contribute to my enjoyment of the work, ultimately it is the creative process of listening to music, searching for literature that suits my instrument and choir - and deciding how to present it - that floats my boat. And to think that this is all for the glory of God!
I'm telling you, church music is awesome. Sure there are challenges, but they just make us stronger. So go out there, reach a young musician and tell him or her the joys of church music. We owe it to our profession. The best profession in the world.

2 comments:

Mr. C said...

Dear Scelata,
Have you noticed that over at CMAA Forum things appear bleaker and nastier than usual in certain threads?
Where's Rodney King when we need him? ;-)

Kimberly said...

Dear Scelata,

I didn't know you are in the Chicago area?! I would love to meet you sometime as well. Is your parish in chicago? or in the suburbs? Email me, let me know: kimberlydepatie@gmail.com